MAC/20: Mines and Communities

Protesters Rally Against Newmont Expansion

Published by MAC on 2007-02-22

Protesters Rally Against Newmont Expansion

The Jakarta Post

22nd February 2007

Dozens of environmental protesters rallied in Mataram, West Nusa Tenggara, on Wednesday against the issuance of a permit to expand mining company Newmont's operations, an accusation which the company denied. The protesters, members of the Community of Environment Messenger group, gathered at the office of West Nusa Tenggara Governor H.L. Serinata.

They demanded that the administration reject the application of PT Newmont Nusa Tenggara for a permit to expand its operations, citing the potential for environmental damage. "We demand that the governor does not issue the permit. We don't want this just for the sake of money, people are being sacrificed," said protest coordinator M. Tohri.

The group claimed the company planned to use the permit to bury leftover mining materials in the Batu Hijau copper and gold mine in West Sumbawa. They said the proposed area constituted 38 hectares of land in Latar forest.

"The problem is that the location is part of a protected forest, and we suspect the expanded area will not only be used to buy leftover mining materials but will also be exploited," Tohri said. "There are many protected species in the forest, including deer and rare birds."

As the governor was in Jakarta, the protesters met with the governor's assistant on the economy and development, Abdul Malik, who promised to deliver the group's comments to the government. After the meeting Abdul told journalists that the company had made a proposal for a permit, but that the administration had not yet given an official response.

"The proposal has been made but the administration is still studying it. We'll see if (the permit) is against the existing law and whether it will disadvantage people. But so far, no permit has been issued, it's still being reviewed," he said, adding that the company's latest permit application pertained to land already within the agreed contract.

Meanwhile, the company has denied it planned to expand the Batu Hijau mine, and said it had not put forth an application to the provincial administration to do so. "This is a misunderstanding. There is no proposal for an expansion permit," Kasan Mulyono, the company's public relations manager, told The Jakarta Post.

Kasan said the company's recent proposal for a permit was routine for mining operations and was part of its contract. He did not elaborate on exactly when old permits required renewal. Furthermore, he said the proposal was sent to the Forestry Ministry in Jakarta and not to the provincial administration. "So it's not true that there are mining activities outside the area agreed to in the contract. This is just a misunderstanding," he said.

According to its 2004 report, the company is a joint venture with the Nusa Tenggara Mining Corp. of Japan, the majority of which is owned by the Sumitomo Corp. and an Indonesian firm, PT Pukuafu Indah. Newmont is the operator and holds a 52.9 percent interest. Copper and gold porphyry deposits in Batu Hijau were discovered in 1990, and commercial production began there in 2000. Under the current plan, the mines resources are predicted to last until 2034.

 

Home | About Us | Companies | Countries | Minerals | Contact Us
© Mines and Communities 2013. Web site by Zippy Info